Skip to main content

I write a personal letter to Lyin' George almost every day. And you know what good it does?  Not one fucking bit. Zero. Nada. Squat. That's why we're raising the stakes. That's why we're staging the first ever National Strike for Truth and Peace on December 7th, 2005.

And you can be part of it. All it takes is two simple actions.

1.  Hit recommend.

2.  Make the commitment that December 7th will not be business as usual. Stay home from work. Cut classes. Close your business. Take a stand.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
More . . . with a printable poster the flip.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Stop writing letters and hit him where it hurts.

Our Purpose Is Just

The Bush administration and Republican co-conspirators in Congress have hijacked truth to serve their personal interests and twisted view of America's role in the world. It's 1984 all over again.  But last week the most-magnificent Senator Harry Reid resorted to extraordinary measures to stop the lying - and now it's our turn. There will be no business as usual until the truth is out.

Why Truth AND Peace

Without the truth there will be no peace.

Why December 7

December 7 is a "day of infamy" - and there is no better day to point to the horror of war and the cost of deception.

Here's What We're Asking

1.    Make a personal commitment to the National Strike for Truth and Peace . . . to making December 7 a day of mourning for the loss of integrity and a day of peace.

2.    Do not work or attend school that day.  Call in sick, cut classes, whatever. Just make sure it's not business as usual. Don't buy anything from a Red Business on December 7th if at all possible. See Buy Blue for help.

3.    Organize a vigil or protest at your local city hall.  Demand that your local elected officials pass a resolution calling on Bush to tell the truth and end the war in Iraq. Here's a sample of on resolution that ties the war to local government challenges. It was passed unanimously in Chapel Hill, NC.

How Else Can You Help?

*    Print posters and spread the word.

*    Religious leaders.  Get your congregations involved.

*    Union members. Get your union to support the strike.

*    Department of Homeland Security.  Stage another fake terror alert to distract us.

*    George Bush.  Tell the fucking truth.

More coming.

Hundreds are signed on to this effort. Please join us if you can.  Write your own diary. Spread the word. Cross-post like crazy. Anything and everything you can do will make a difference.

We're not asking for money . . . just for commitments to join this cause for truth and spread the word.  Our first goal:  50 million strikers worldwide. Our ultimate goal: a responsible government worthy of our trust.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Originally posted to Anglico on Thu Nov 10, 2005 at 06:20 AM PST.

Poll

What I'm doing on December 7th

10%6 votes
14%8 votes
0%0 votes
0%0 votes
10%6 votes
3%2 votes
3%2 votes
1%1 votes
14%8 votes
41%23 votes

| 56 votes | Vote | Results

EMAIL TO A FRIEND X
Your Email has been sent.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.

Add keywords that describe this diary. Separate multiple keywords with commas.
Tagging tips - Search For Tags - Browse For Tags

?

More Tagging tips:

You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?

You must be a member of a group to use this feature.

Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
(The diary will be removed.)
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?

Comment Preferences

•  Okay folks. (4.00)
    My daddy once told me that national strikes for truth and peace don't happen without recommends.  Well, maybe not, but he would have if he were still alive.

Do your part. Spread the word.

Peace.

•  Anglico (none)
    Recommended. I'll call in sick too. Can I still write letters though?

There is nothing more stimulating than a case where everything goes against you. -- Sherlock Holmes

by Carnacki on Thu Nov 10, 2005 at 06:28:28 AM PST

•  Thanks. (none)
      Your letter was fantastic. I write one just like it every day. Every goddamn day. And I ain't lettin' up. It's cathartic.

All that said . . . and this is not directed to you at all:

I'm so fucking pissed right now I can hardly stand it. The comments below lecturing me on how to be a better citizen.

I'm a 55 year old man, ex Navy officer, Annapolis grad, elected official, and member of more boards than you can count . . . and now I have to endure a fucking lecture about making a difference?

Goodbye cruel fucking world indeed.

•  Will this strike... (4.00)
    Do anything to see them out of the White House before November 2008? Because frankly, while I understand the convicton of this, if it will just end with Dec.8 being business as usual, I don't see the point. Could you please then explain how this will get them out of power... because THAT is what we need to do.

Oh, and those of us who don't get paid when we don't work and can't afford to then do that even for one day have a bit of a dilemma. Self sacrifice is very romantic, but when it takes food out of your child's mouth, doesn't that just defeat the purpose? And I am not asking this to be antagonistic. Many Americans are in a bad way financially, and even one day matters.

And once again, at the end of this you are asking us to call for resolutions to be passeed for BUSH to end this war. He doesn't give a damn about letters and I knew that from day one... So do you think he will listen to a resolution? The answer is not to MAKE HIM listen,(that isn't going to happen) because that is not an option. The answer is to GET THEM ALL OUT, so again, tell me how this strike accomplishes that, and I may even think about sacrificing a day's pay for it.
    Thanks.

•  December 7th a bad choice (none)
    Choosing this date gives them the perfect counters: You're smearing the sacrifice of those that died fighting evil; you would have protested going to war against Japan after Pearl Harbor, you hate America and her fighting men, etc.

Bad, bad choice on the day.

"Losing to Bush is like a healthy person losing an event in the Special Olympics" Lewis Black

by Rat on Thu Nov 10, 2005 at 06:34:30 AM PST

•  those are perfect? (none)
      C'mon. Those "counters" are, in a word, ridiculous.

Personally, I think that what republicans think of me is none of my business. I mean, really, who cares what they say? It's all retarded double speak lies anyhow. I don't pay attention to that crap. I just keep doing what I can.

Besides, picking a significant (even controversial, though this really isn't) date is a tool to draw attention to the strike. If asked "why this day" you can say, this honors the men and women who give their lives when asked, and protests sullying the american GI's image of a reluctant but noble warrior against evil--now WE are hyper-aggressive for ambiguous reasons, and our GIs are being sacrificed on the altar of one man's arrogance and ignorance...as Trent Lott said, We've seen the enemy, and it is us. (hehe thanks trent)

Another thing: How about we all don't buy gas that day too?

•  They aren't going to ask "why this day?" (none)
        They're going to tell you why this day, and tell everyone else, too.

There is precisely one day that is more "holy" to Americans than September 11th, and that's December 7th.  The Japanese "struck" us on Pearl Harbor Day and now the internal enemy "strikes" on Pearl Harbor Day as well.

If it had been on the 8th or the 6th or the 9th you'd avoid all of this, but by putting it on the 7th you've alienated a large section of the middle of America.  Maybe you don't care.  Maybe they're not important to you, but without the American equivalent to Orwell's British "Aspidistra class", you're looking at preaching to the 10-20% choir rather than reaching the 75% who might otehrwise sympathize.

•  Not to worry (none)
      We progressives couldn't get our shit together for a strike on any day, let alone December 7th.

But just as a point . . . consider spending less time worrying about what wingers think than doing the right thing.  If you don't like the day for your own reasons, say so. But don't use the 'wingers won't like it' cop-out.

•  Common sense is no "cop out" (none)
        I'm pointing out a major blunder in choosing this day. You can attack me if you want, but it doesn't make it any less of a blunder. Not taking into account how your enemies can (and will) react to your moves is a sure way to lose.

I'm not arguing against a protest, knock yourself out. But you're doing nothing but hurting your cause and bolstering the enemy's by choosing this date. Maybe you can get Dukakis to ride in a tank for you as a photo op.

"Losing to Bush is like a healthy person losing an event in the Special Olympics" - Lewis Black

by Rat on Thu Nov 10, 2005 at 08:39:40 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  A one day strike... (none)

will be like spitting into the wind...

Now, a week...or better yet a month long strike...THAT would get their attention...

•  This isn't just ineffective (none)
    it's counter productive.

First:  If you get 1% of the US population to strike (and you won't) the only thing that happens is the moderates that we need to vote for our candidates will be pissed that they couldn't get (whatever it is that they need on 12/7) because the store is closed.  Don't piss off people you need to vote for you.

Second:  Do you think that the large corporations are going to shut down?  Of course not, only 'Mom 'n Pop' businesses will close.  They're being pushed out of business anyway.  Closing a day is loss in revenue and costomers.  You're empowering Wal-Mart.

Third:  You're playing into the Republican meme of 'Party of No ideas.'  All this does is allow them to say "yeah, the Dems bitch about things, they strike, they hold marches and rallies, but in the end, they don't offer ideas about fixing the problem.

Fourth:  Bush isn't running for reelection.  All the resolutions in the world mean exactly zero to him.  Unless you can get about 40% of the work force to strike a la South America, you won't be toppling the government.  PLUS even if 40% of the population did strike, it's not like we could hold a vote of no confidence and replace him.  Don't think he'd give up on his policies just because they're unpopular.  He's not running for reelection.

In the end, I appreciate the sentiment, but take the time and effort to do something constructive.  Educate the electorate.  Go out and volunteer at an organization that is working towards our goals.  Go talk to someone who disagrees with you.  Don't make empty and counter productive gestures.

JESUS SAVES! Republicans run up the debt.

by DCArchitect on Thu Nov 10, 2005 at 06:47:20 AM PST

•  Listen closely (none)
      You have NO FUCKING IDEA what I'm doing with the rest of my life . . . when I'm not trying to get people here to get off their cute and clever soapboxes and stop talking to the choir.  NO FUCKING IDEA . . . so save the goddamn lectures for your children.

I already have five business shut down . . . businesses I own . . . with more than five hundred employees.

And with all due respect . . . I know Bush isn't running for reelection.

And finally, you might want to spend less time worrying about what Republicans will think. We are the fucking majority.

:end of fucking rant:

•  Missing Slashdot Options (none)
    • Not an American, you insensite clod!
    • CowboyNeal

(sorry, couldn't resist)
    Seriously though, I really hope this idea gets traction in the next couple of weeks. Do they have any major civic leaders or organizations onside yet who have the pull to get this publicized in the MSM?

George Bush. The second coming of Leonid Brezhnev.

by Cletus from Canuckistan on Thu Nov 10, 2005 at 07:17:33 AM PST

•  as an independent artist (none)
    and a business owner, I just can't support the idea of boycotting everyone, good bad and indifferent, to punish the few in power.
     I could, and do, support an everyday boycott of those who support the Bush regime-  I never but never shop at Walmart, I buy my gas from Citgo.

There are many great ways to protest-  I wish the Cindy Sheehan events at the White House had more steam and more participation.  If we all got behind those, with our bodies, it would be very effective.  From California, with young children, it's mighty hard for me to go get arrested in DC.

But punishing everyone for the failings of BushCo, I can't support.  And it certainly won't bring about a Bush resignation.  It's hard to imagine what will do that other than total catastrophic failure.

A more positive protest would be a Buy Blue day, where people deliberately support blue business and clean technology, and deliberately and conspicuously boycott big oil.  Just sayin.

by kate mckinnon on Thu Nov 10, 2005 at 07:21:36 AM PST

•  despite what the wingnuts say... (none)
    ...DailyKos is not a left wing radical site, not in the least.  Strikes are soooo 20th Century, don't you know?

If you are looking for take-it-to-the-streets solidarity, better look elsewhere, it won't be arising from here.   The Democrats can't get it together to vote as a block, why should you expect that of Kossians?

What you'll get here is judgements about how "good" or "bad" the street actions are, after the fact.

</snark>

-8.0, -7.03 don't always believe what you think...

by claude on Thu Nov 10, 2005 at 09:18:18 AM PST

•  I'm also an artist (none)
    and studying to become an animator.

If one day of protest could make a difference, then I'm all for it.  Yes, I need money to put food on the table, to pay for tuition: but hell, I also need a country to call home.  And that country hasn't been around for like, five years now. I miss it.  I want it back.

I'm passing the word to others.  Count on me.

"Im not afraid of storms, for I'm learning to sail my ship." - Louisa May Alcott

by smugbug on Thu Nov 10, 2005 at 10:56:46 PM PST

•  Missed this diary (none)
    Thanks for the cross-post from your letter on the Preznit, I wouldn't have seen it otherwise. I got a copy of the printable poster. I plan to blanket my town in the next weeks, why the hell not? I can get at least 4 or 5 people to help me stuff every mailbox in the town.

I think I'll even explore the high school and the Mayor's office. We will be right outside her office all day. I want to make sure people can at least go to the bathroom, I live in Mass and it'll be cold enough to need lots of coffee and hot beverages to stand outside for eight hours.

Thanks again, I'll put this in my sigline and try to cross-post at places like C&L and Huffington Post.

Did you see this diary: Join the Million Postcard March on Washington D.C. Support our troops! that one also died a swift yet bitter death. I think this diary and the one I linked to should have been front-paged. Isn't this what this community is all about, grass roots organizing and communicating outside the corporate approved media structure? C'mon Kossacks! If you can't close your business or take the day off you can at least show up outside your city hall and buy someone a cup of coffee!

Could this be the tipping point?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Get involved, do something - anything. Or else shut-up and accept what the BushCo operation and the Iraq War has done to this country. Add your weight to the effort - get off your ass or sit down, shut-up and let this cow stand.

I hope you're checking this diary occasionally. I'll be in touch. Thanks again for your strong words of encouragement.

•  Fantastic! (none)
      I'll be bring this back to life in the next day or so . . . got distracted by my day job.

Thanks!

•  No kidding (none)
        I actually have new info for my particular town. I was at a party this weekend and low and behold I was informed that HS kids were reported to be already doing this spontaneously. I mentioned Strike 7 after a couple of beers, I even brought some printed posters to feel out the crowd. The bitch that gave the party mentioned the demonstration that she saw to stop the war downtown, and said, "this is going way too far." I called her on it - the asswipe, no one in her overly affluent family is going to sign up. Guess I won't be going to their New Year's Party.

Still haven't gotten any ins at the High School or Mayor's office, but I'm busy too and it's just my lack of trying. I'm absolutely committed and have at least gotten 100 copies of the flier printed and folded in threes for mailbox stuffing and the paper cuts to prove it.

My nephews and I are starting this weekend. Younger kids are really dialed in on this. They're totally into it and want to help in my town. Anything for a legit day off. No not really, they're worried about a draft. Very worried. One of my nephews is a senior in HS he tells me that they talk about it, the war and the draft that is. He has even said to me, you know it's not going to be like Vietnam - this time it's going to be everyone. Imagine that from a kid just trying to get into college and figure out to attract and keep a pretty girl.

The other one is still young, 13, but ever since we saw F9/11 he can't understand what's going on. It's a very suspicious age. He kept on asking me, why don't they show that stuff on TV? Shouldn't they show stuff like that on TV? Like in the news? Such a cute age.

Keep it going. I'll keep a lookout, so I can rec the diary. Cheers and I'll let you know how the Mayor and High School go.

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site